SMEC Nigeria, is a professional services firm with Australian origins and a global footprint that provides high quality consultancy services for major infrastructure projects. SMEC is ranked among the world’s top infrastructure design firms and continues to win industry awards for technical excellence, design innovation and the management of environmental and social risks.
SMEC Nigeria is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Regional Manager – West Africa
Job No: 499055
Work Type: Full Time
Categories: Corporate and Administration – Management and Executive
- This is an exciting opportunity for a Regional Manager – West Africa to join a leading infrastructure consultancy and contribute to the growth and development of a business with a reputation for technical excellence and strong client relationships.
Primary Purpose of the Position
- This position is responsible for the development of the West Africa Regional business.
- This includes ensuring that all strategic direction aligns with the business core strengths and current Strategic Plan.
- The position will be responsible for the Region’s business planning, marketing, profitability, resource management and project delivery.
- Develop business strategies for the West Africa Region in conjunction with SMEC Africa’s business objectives and the overall national and company strategic objectives
- Identifying and Managing Risks across the Region;
- Marketing within the region as well as focusing on key clients who have a national impact;
- Proactive approach in developing work or being aware of what projects are likely to come up from key clients;
- Responsible for the commercial overview of all Regions. This includes the financial management, client liaison and contract administration of the selected projects;
- Develop and maintain key client relationships in the sector;
- Submission of EOIs and Proposals and providing input into large projects;
- Responsible for the overview of proposals submitted by the team in West Africa;
- Manage the West Africa region’s overhead, proposal and marketing budgets;
- Win and deliver West Africa based projects;
- Manage or be part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver project milestones;
- Responsible for assigning Project Directors and Project Managers on projects and monitoring their performance in conjunction with functional managers;
- Work with the Major Project Manager to explore opportunities related to region;
- Cross sell into other SMEC groups when opportunity arises;
- Mentor and develop quality Project Management resources within the West Africa business;
- Recruitment of staff for the West Africa region – approval gained from the Regional Director – Africa;
- Monthly reporting to the Regional Director, including attendance at Senior leadership team (SLT) meetings;
- Keeping staff informed – Regular Group meetings and team updates, and
- Ensuring that all regional projects adhere to SMEC’s Business Management System (BMS).
- Ensure projects are completed on time and on budget;
- Ensure all resource processes are functioning within the team, e.g. CareerTrac is completed for each employee, timesheets completed, data sheets produced, CVs kept up to date etc.;
- Monitoring staff utilisation levels to ensure staff are fully utilised and coordinate this with the Functional Manager;
- Ensure all projects are adequately resourced in terms of numbers and capabilities;
- Develop and maintain internal contacts within SMEC to source appropriate skills;
- Develop and maintain training and mentoring systems for the West Africa staff. This includes but is not limited to:
- Keeping them informed
- Provide advice on suitable training and any opportunities
- Planning career paths
- Maintaining professional ethics and professional standards of behaviour and
- Develop a training plan within the team.
- Ensure documentation, reporting and communication is appropriately achieved;
- Provide a robust strategy for the Region’s team
- Develop a multi levelled power business in the region
- Meet budgetary and time constraints of various projects whilst maintaining appropriate technical standards, QA and EMS requirements
- Develop and grow the team
- Ensure all projects are adequately resourced in terms of capabilities and specialists
- Ensure adequate levels of review are taken on projects and within the tendering period to ensure SMEC’s risks are managed and liabilities understood, reduced and accounted for
- Maintain a consistent high quality of work and
- Contribute to the achievements of SMEC’s Strategic Plan and Australian Power business plans.
- Establish and build strong client and team relationships
- Assist in shaping the marketing tools required to penetrate the sector in order to match the strategy when required
- Maintain and develop key contacts within SMEC
- Recruit adequate quality resources when required
- Develop 2IC and succession planning for all key positions in the region.
- Maintain a consistent and manageable workload within the group
Key Performance Indicators:
- Develops and implements strategy for the West Africa Region.
- Maintains and expands key client base.
- Quality, professionalism, technical innovation and excellence.
- Achieving Southern Africa Budget Fees, overhead, and contribution.
- Project delivery to meet client’s Terms of Reference (TOR).
- Development of networks and contribution to team goals.
- Business development and marketing where appropriate.
- Promote staff development and project team management.
- Technical support and mentoring, and
- Recruitment and project mobilisation.
- Contribution to growth RPR and PPR.
- Staff utilisation (Resource Profitability).
- Keeping staff informed and engaged.
- Maintain acceptable levels of cash flow (lock up < 90days)
- Project profitability.
- Implementation of project management and company procedures.
- Development and integration of team.
Key Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor of Engineering degree/higher degree from accredited University/College
- Minimum 15 years of practical experience in the [insert Function] discipline
- Knowledge of obligations under the current SMEC OH&S program which are defined in the OH&S section of the SMEC BMS – document OHSPR107; and Sound knowledge of Quality Assurance (QA).
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the industry
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively within a culturally diverse and multi-disciplinary environment
- Courteous and business orientated manner when communicating with stakeholders to foster and promote good working relations
- Co-operative and flexible work style to work in a team environment
- Willingness to learn new skills and acquire new knowledge
- Ability to apply new knowledge, and
- Able to work under pressure.
- Ability to market and develop relationships.
- Implementation of sound principles in project management, risk management and financial management
- Ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary input into opportunities (EOI, RFT’s) and Projects;
- Willingness and ability to work with web based financial systems to extract and analyse group performance.
- Knowledge of design processes and standards for sector and client.
- Knowledge of industry trends and advances.
- Ability to write effectively in English to furnish reports and to prepare business development materials including proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully undertake and deliver client’s TOR and
- Hands-on experience in delivering within project based budgets and timelines.
- Professional delivery and appearance to ensure SMEC image is maintained
- Global engineering consultancy with great career opportunities
- Opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects both locally and internationally
- Friendly working environment across the business
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- SMEC is an equal opportunity employer. Diversity is a source of strength for our people, our clients, our partners and our communities.
- For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity, please contact Lucy Mugizi on Lucy.Mugizi@smec.com
- All recruitment activities go through our Resourcing function and currently, this role doesn’t require agency input.
- Please do not forward resumes directly to SMEC employees/managers; we do not accept unsolicited resumes and are not responsible for any associated fees.
Application Deadline 14th November, 2017.