Reference: No ADB/15/121
Position N°: 50000651
- The General Counsel and Legal Services Department (GECL) provides legal services to the statutory organs of the Bank and the Fund.
- In addition, GECL provides legal advice on the administration, operations and financial activities of the Bank.
- The Private Sector Operations Division (GECL2) advises on private sector transactions and other initiatives mostly originated by the Bank’s private sector operations department (OPSM).
- Most of the transactions include non-sovereign loans, guarantees, project finance, syndicated loans, equity participations and trade finance.
- GECL also ensures that the activities and operations of the Bank’s Group are consistent with the constitutive documents and other legal instruments of the Bank’s Group, its policies, the relevant norms and principles of international and commercial law, and the best practices of development finance institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Division Manager, Private Sector Operations (GECL.2), the incumbent will be responsible for the following activities in connection with the Private Sector activities of the Bank:
- Conducting legal due diligence on proposed transactions such as the review of project documents and agreements (including development or construction contracts, supplier agreements, concession agreements, joint venture agreements, management agreements and shareholders’ agreements, etc.), constitutive documents of proposed borrowers/investee funds and review of local regulatory requirements;
- Liaising and collaborating with staff in the private sector operations, finance and environmental and social departments to develop the appropriate terms and conditions of each transaction, ensuring compliance with Bank’s policies;
- Advising on transaction structure and documentation for private equity investments by the Bank to ensure compliance with Bank policies and practice as well as applicable laws including drafting and/or reviewing shareholders agreements, partnership agreements, management agreements, co-investment agreements, subscription agreements, etc.
- Providing legal support for the implementation and monitoring of projects after signing and disbursement, including advising on waiver requests, approval requests and project work-outs;
- Liaising with co-lenders/investors, partners and external counsel as and when needed; and
- Undertaking such other assignments as required in furtherance of the Department’s mandate.
- Participating in project appraisal missions and reviewing project concept notes, project appraisal reports, drafting board resolutions;
- Drafting and/or reviewing, negotiating and finalising all legal documentation relevant to the proposed transaction, including term sheets, loan agreements, lines of credit agreements, common terms agreements, guarantee agreements, participation agreements, inter-creditor agreements, security documentation, assignment agreements and information memoranda, etc., depending on the nature of the project and the type of financing;
Including desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- At least a Master’s degree in Law, plus admission to the Bar of (or diploma to practice law in) a member country; or a first university degree plus a relevant combination of academic qualification in Law (e.g. Juris Doctor (JD) plus admission to the Bar of (or diploma to practice law in) a member country of the Bank;
- Excellent negotiation skills and demonstrated ability to work under pressure and deliver within tight deadlines;
- Possess a versatile multi-disciplinary skills-set, an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and effective communication, team building, inter-personal, writing and analytical skills;
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French, preferably with the ability to work in both languages; and,
- IT Competence in the use of standard software such as MSWord, Power Point, Excel and Internet Explorer.
- Preferably at least 6 years of relevant professional experience with an established law firm or an international financial institution, with in-depth experience in major international financial transactions;
- Proven competence in International banking and finance, Project Finance, Private Equity, Development and Public International Law;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline 12th September, 2015.