The College of Advanced and Professional Studies (CAPS), Makurdi was established in 1976 by the Benue State Government. It was previously known as School of Basic Studies (SBS) and later School of Remedial Studies (SRS).The institution was located at Ugbokolo but later swapped places with the Murtala College of Arts, Science and Technology (MUCAST), now Benue State Polytechnic, which saw it, moved to Makurdi in 1981. CAPS runs the IJMBE Programme which has headquarters at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria and professional courses such as Fashion and Designing, Computer Science, Painting and Decorating, Welding and Fabrication, Building and Engineering Drawing, Radio and Television Servicing, and Carpentry and Joinery. The College also commenced National Diploma courses in October 2013 in the following courses: Computer Science, Mathematics Education, Accountancy, Business Administration and Management, Public Administration, Fashion Design and Clothing Technology, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, and Quantity Surveying and Building Technology.
The Ministry of Education, the parent Ministry of the institution oversees the College and plays the role of the Governing Council.
In order to put a substantive Management in place having disbanded the former management in 2009, the Honourable Commissioner, Ministry of Education, Makurdi hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the following post
The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer of the College. He/she is responsible to the Governing Council as provided for in the Act establishing the College. The Rector is responsible for the day to day management of the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the institution. The Rector must be able to meet and surmount the challenges of management and leadership facing the institution at any given time. The Rector must develop the institution to meet the aspirations and demands of the society and environment.
Term of Appointment
The Rector shall be appointed for an interval period of four years. The position is renewable subject to satisfactory performance. The Rector enjoys a consolidated salary approved by the Benue State Government.
Interested candidates for the post are expected to possess the following qualifications and personal qualities.
- Must hold at least a Masters Degree in any of the relevant disciplines of the Arts, Science and Social Sciences – with a minimum of fifteen years teaching experience in a higher institution.
- Must be at least a Chief Lecturer or equivalent in a higher institution.
- Must be proficient in ICT.
- Must enjoy good physical and mental health
- Must provide evidence of academic/professional bodies
- Must provide evidence of strong academic, administrative and visionary leadership and be effective in policy formulation, the candidate must be fair-minded and devoid of ethnic, political, religious and sectional interest.
- Must be able to attract research funds and development grants from local, national and international agencies.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are expected to submit 20 copies of applications including photocopies and CVs preferably in the following order.
- Full names
- Date and Place of Birth
- State of Origin and LGA
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children
- Current postal address, email and telephone numbers
- Educational institutions attended and dates
- Academic and professional qualifications
- Membership of professional bodies
- Academic scholarly publications
- Conferences attended/papers and dates
- Previous and present employment with salary grades
- Activities outside paid employment
- A one page handwritten vision for the College
- Reference letters from 3 persons.
Applications should be submitted not later than 20th March, 2014
Applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked “POST OF RECTOR” on the top left hand corner of the envelop and addressed to:
THE HONOURABLE COMMISSIONER
Ministry of Education Headquarters
Makurdi, Benue State